Saturday, January 14, 2006

World championship day5

Friday 13 was the 5th day of the Contender Worlds, lucky number for Italian and unlucky for other countries…
2 races were sailed, wind direction was the same as day 4 from south east. The first race with wind between 10 to 12 knots, the second with more wind from 12 to 16 knots. Like day 4 It was quite gusty and patchy with no side better then other.
The first race started with a second gun that I thought was for individual recall, this didn’t make me feel safe overall winner at the end of the race because I had a good start near the line (and like the Italian Nationals, you never know what numbers the race committee are going to pick), also Marcus and most of the top sailor had a good start on the race committee end. At the first mark Paul Green was leading coming from the far left, few other sailor got in the top places coming from the left, I guess all following the Jan Von der Bank “hit the corner” theory, anyway, in the following 3 position we didn’t apply that teory and didn’t hit corner and just got better shift, Ben Holden was second, Simon 3rd and I was just behind him on 4th. After that there was a big group of boats, Marcus was over the 10th but his speed was very good and start quickly to recover boats. At the second lap Paul green was loosing ground, I was second and passed by Ben Holden on the Upwind, I have to say that he played very well the shifts and had very good boat speed in the flat water with the Kevlar North Sail in the 10-12 knots. At the last lap Paul green was still leading, Ben Holden second, I was 3rd and Marcus 4th. During the last Upwind Paul Green was more worried me to pass him and didn’t really worried enough about Ben that won, Paul Green was second just 1 second in front of me at the opposite side of the finish line, Marcus 4th. Jan Von der Bank had a 720 penalty for pumping, Hosie had a penalty for touching the jibe mark, Tim Hill had his worst race very far back.
The 2nd race was similar: most started at the committee end, at the top mark again Marcus again was quite far back most because of a really bad start, he did recover till the 11th but was a bit harder because of more wind and everyone was planning on reaches and more difficoult to pass. At the first lap I passed Chris, we still had a good lead till the last lap where Simon was really fast, Virgilio was also very fast but was really bad in tacking: I saw him doing the first tack in the last upwind in around 20 seconds, I guess he was very tired. Simon managed to pass Chris just before the finish for the second place, Virgilio was 4th not far. The big group from the 5th till the 15th came later through the finish line.
I am the new world champion (for the 6th time) and don’t need to sail on Saturday, somebody told me I should sail the race anyway, somebody that I shouldn’t sail, but the best advice come From Tim Hill: “do what you want” and I don’t really want to sail as I am quite exausted.
Still very open the fight for the 3rd place between Hosie, Hill, Simon, and the fight for the 6th till the 10 place between Jan, Paul Green, Virgilio, Christoph and Soren.
Complete result at the usual link:
http://www.contenderclass.org/aus/freo2006/results_worlds.htm
Ciao Andrea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home