Monday, July 16, 2007

world championship 2007 day1

The first day started with a 3 hour postponement for rain, storm and no wind.
Then we started at 2 o'clock with around 10 knots and no rain and warm temperature.
The first group Marcus won then Jono and Soren.
I was in the second Group and Neil Wilson was leading in Front of Rene.
Durin the reaches I passed Few boat including Tim Holden and Stuart Jones, the pumping flag was on.
On the bottom mark Rene was leading and took the left buoy of the gate and i took the right,
the left was better and Rene was leading at the top mark in fron of me and Stuart Jones,
in the last upwind the wind was a bit more and I could pass Rene, Stuart Jones finished 3rd followed by Neil Wilson and Jan von der bank.

The second race started in a decreasing breeze, still the pumping flag was up, John Browett got a Pumping flag on the second reach just in front of me, a bit strange I thought and pretty much everyone around stop pumping. Seems the reason was overpumping, bah, never heard that before...
The racing was very closed and the best sailor in the second group were near each other, the wind was dropping a lot in the second upwind with no trapeezing anymore, they took out the pumping flag and in the last downwind all was decided by the wind that turned north and i had a very nice downwind and i would have won the race without a pumping flag just before the gate (i don't think i was doing anything illegal).
I got 5th at the end, Frank Havik won the race with also a lower downwind leg, John Browet was second and went right, Max Billerbeck 3th (he was leading at the top mark) and Soren 4th.
In the first Group Stuart Jones won the race passing Jono in the last leg, Marcus was 3rd.
Overall Marcus and Jones are leading in front of Jono and me.
Jono did very well on his first year on Contender and I am happy for him also because I was persuading him to come to Europe and Gave him my Dad boat (a very competitive boat).
The website for the results is http://www.ryc-hollandia.org/
Ciao Andrea Bonezzi

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the report Mario. Good luck...

18 July, 2007 12:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home